Australian Embassy



The information on this page relates to Criminal Information Certificates required for Australian visa and citizenship applications only. If you require a certificate for other purposes, including employment and professional registration, you should discuss procedures with the Israeli police and should NOT ask the police to send the certificate to our office.  One of the options is to ask the police to send the certificate to the Embassy of Israel in the relevant country. For example, if you require the certificate for employment or professional registration purposes in Australia, you should ask for the certficate to be sent to th Embassy of Israel in Canberra. The Embassy of Israel in Canberra  may be authorised to hand it to you or to your representative or directly to the entity who requested it.  This should be discussed directly with the Embassy of Israel. 


Please note that the Hebrew prinout issued by the local police station is NOT acceptable for visa and citizenship applications purposes.  Only a "Criminal Information Certificate" (תעודת מרשם פלילי )   issued by the Israeli Police Headquarters in Jerusalem is acceptable. 


Please do not apply for your Criminal Information Certificate before you lodge your application or invited to provide one by your Case Officer.


Israeli criminal records and police certificate procedures are administered in Israel by the Israeli Police, under The Crime Register and Rehabilitation of Offenders Law, 5741 -1981.  According to this law, it is unlawful for the Police AND the Embassy to provide Israeli police certificates directly to the client.


Criminal Information Certificates are forwarded directly to the Australian Embassy in Tel Aviv.  Usually within 2-4 weeks.  They are then sent directly to the relevant visa/citizenship processing office in Australia or the Australian Embassy processing your visa/citizenship application, UPON REQUEST from the  Case Officer processing your visa/citizenship application. 


To ensure that your Criminal Information Certificate reaches your Case Officer, please ask your Case Officer to send a "referral" to our office and request the certificate.  


For privacy and other operational reasons, we are unable to advise clients directly whether we have received their Criminal Information Certiricate and if/when it was sent to their Case Officer. If there are any significant delays or difficulties you should contact your Processing Office/Case Officer directly and they will contact our office, if necessary.  Please feel free to refer your Case Officer to this page of our website.


If you do not have contact details/email address for your Case Officer, please upload a copy of this page to your online application and name it “police certificate”.  Your Case Officer will then read the message and take the appropriate action.