Australian Embassy

Applying for a visa in Israel


The following inforamation applies to applications for migration which may be lodged and processed in Tel Aviv. For information about other visas please visit the Visa Finder.

If you wish to lodge an application for migration to Australia in Tel Aviv we suggest you first obtain information by reading the migration booklet relevant to your particular circumstances and the visa category you wish to apply for. We also recommend that you read the information below very carefully.

Migration information and booklets are available on the Internet free of charge.

1- Partner Migration - migration for partners of Australian citizens or Australian permanent residents, including: 

  • Prospective Marriage for people intending to get married after first entry to Australia with the Prospective Marriage visa (fiancés)
  • Married partners, including those who are not married yet, but plan to marry before the Partner visa is granted
  • De facto partners (including those in a same sex relationship). 

2. Child Migration - dependent children, orphan relatives or adopted children. Please request from our office a local checklist to assist you in preparing a valid and well documented application. 

These information booklets contain very important information about the application process in Tel Aviv. Please read the relevant booklet carefully and follow the guidelines provided.


For visa application charges please go to Charges. Please note fees and charges usually change on 1 January and 1 July each year.

Visa application charges may be paid in one of the following methods:

  • Credit card in Australian Dollars (AUD). Details of the visa application charge and credit card must be provided in the payment page of the application form. It is not possible to use the credit card to pay in local currency/New Shekels. If you lodge your application online you should pay by credit card in AUD.
  • Cash or Bank Cheque. In cases of genuine emergencies only after prior approval from the Embassy

Please do not send cash by mail.



Under our Code of Conduct we are unable to comment on your chances of obtaining a visa. If after obtaining and reading the relevant migration booklet or visa form you wish to seek help, you may contact a registered migration agent in Australia. The address of the Migration Agents Registration Authority (MARA) is:


Phone: 61 2 9299 5446, Fax : 61 2 9299 8448

Web site:  MARA

Registered Migration Agents are bound by the Migration Agents\' Code of Conduct and generally charge for their services. The MARA investigates complaints against registered migration agents and may take disciplinary action against them. If you have a concern or an inquiry about a migration agent, you can contact MARA.

Under Australian law, anyone who uses knowledge of migration procedures to offer advice or assistance to a person wishing to obtain a visa to enter or remain in Australia must be registered. If you intend to use a migration agent you are advised to use a registered migration agent.

We recommend that you confirm that your migration agent is registered by checking their details on the above website.

Entry to the Visa Section is by appointment only. For appointments, please contact us by e-mail at  For genuine emergencies please call us on (03) 6935000.


The prefered methiod of lodgement is online.


Please pay the Visa Application Charge on-line with a credit card at the time of loding your on-line application.

Please note that the visa application charge is not refundable irrespective of the outcome of the application.
Please note that the fees usually change on 1 January and 1 July each year.

The migration booklet provides information on the type of supporting documents to lodge with the application. The following specific information is tailored to local conditions and environment and will assist you to lodge a valid and well documented application.

You may apply for this type of visa if you are outside Australia and legally married to, or living in a defacto relationship with your sponsor. You may also apply for this visa if you are not legally married to your sponsor but intend to do so before you enter Australia with your provisional partner or partner visa.

In addition to the completed and signed sponsorship form (form 40SP) and evidence of your sponsor\'s Australian citizenship or permanent residence status, you must also provide evidence that your relationship with your sponsor is genuine and continuing. This can normally be evidenced by providing your marriage certificate and other documentary evidence. The marriage certificate in itself is not sufficient evidence of a genuine and continuing relationship. In most cases, for the marriage to be recognized, both parties must have been at least 18 years old at the time of marriage. If one of the parties was less than 18 years old at the time of the marriage please contact our office for advice before you lodge your application.

A decision as to whether the relationship is genuine and continuing will be made following careful assessment and consideration of all the circumstances and aspects/factors of the relationship, including:

  • financial aspects, such as any joint ownership of property and joint liabilities, any significant pooling and financial resources, any legal obligations owed by one party in respect of the other party, and the basis of any sharing of day to day household expenses. Evidence may include joint loan agreements for real estate, cars, major household appliances and operation of joint bank accounts
  • nature of the household, such as joint responsibilities for providing care or support of children, living arrangements of the parties, the length of time the parties have lived together, and the basis by which responsibility for housework is distributed. Evidence may include, joint ownership of residential property, joint residential leases, joint rental receipts and joint utilities accounts (electricity, gas, telephone), correspondence addressed to either or both parties at the same address, shared responsibility for children and household. For defacto applicants: Your defacto relationship must have existed for at least 12 months immediately before you apply for this visa. Time spent dating does not count towards the length of your de facto relationship.  You might be granted a visa without having been in a de facto relationship for 12 months if:
  • you can demonstrate compelling and compassionate circumstances, such as having joint dependent children
  • your partner has been granted a permanent humanitarian visa and your de facto relationship existed before it was issued, and you told us about the relationship before the humanitarian visa was granted
  • your de facto relationship has been registered in Australia (this is not available in all states and territories). Please note that registering the relationship in itself is not sufficient evidence of a genuine defacto relationship. Registration of the defacto relationship only waives the requirement to live together for at least 12 months before applying. The relationship will still be considered against the various factors
  • You are older than 18 years of age and not related to your partner by family. This means you cannot be an ancestor or descendant of one another, or have a parent in common.
  • social aspects of the relationship, such as whether the parties present themselves as being married or in a defacto relationship, the assessment of friends and regular associates of the parties about the nature of their relationship and the basis on which the parties make plans for, or engage in, joint social activities. Evidence may include statements (preferably Statutory Declarations) of parents, family members, relatives, friends and other interested parties, joint membership of organisations or groups, documentary evidence of joint participation in sporting, cultural, social or other activities, joint travel and evidence that the relationship has been declared to other government and non-government bodies and commercial/public institutions or authorities and acceptance of these declarations by these bodies; and
  • the nature of the parties\' commitment to each other, such as the length of the relationship, the length of time that the parties have lived together, the nature of any companionship and emotional support that the parties provide to each other, and whether the parties see their relationship as a long term relationship.

Please note that the above list is not exhaustive and is applied flexibly. You may lodge any other evidence in support of your application. If you are unable to provide all or some of the above evidence, please provide a statement outlining your circumstances.

You should also provide separate Statutory Declarations from you and your sponsor providing full background and history of your relationship and your future plans, including:


  • how, when and where you first met
  • how your relationship developed
  • when you decided to marry or start a de facto relationship
  • your domestic arrangements (how you support each other financially, physically and emotionally and when this level of commitment began
  • any periods of separation (when and why the separation occurred, for how long and how you maintained your relationship during the period of separation)
  • your future plans

There is no need to provide any documentary evidence of your educational and employment background unless you are specifically requested to do so after lodging your application. However, you should answer the relevant questions in the application form.

If your application is approved, you will be granted a subclass 309 Partner provisional visa.

The Partner (Provisional) visa (subclass 309) lets you:

  • enter Australia and stay here until a decision is made about your permanent Partner visa
  • work in Australia
  • study in Australia, but with no access to government funding
  • enrol in Medicare, Australia\'s scheme for health-related care and expenses
  • travel to Australia with a one-way ticket.

A subclass 100 Partner migration visa may be granted to you directly if and when you applied for the visa, you have been in a relationship with your partner for more than three years, or more than two years and there is a dependent child of your relationship.

The subclass 100 Partner Migration visa lets you:

  • stay in Australia indefinitely
  • work and study in Australia
  • apply for Australian citizenship (if you are eligible)
  • sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence
  • receive some social security payments
  • travel to and from Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted. After that time you will need another visa to enter Australia
  • travel to Australia with a one-way ticket


You must be outside Australia to lodge this application.

This visa allows you to enter Australia and marry your fiancé within the visa’s usual 9-month validity period. Please note that you must enter Australia with this visa before you marry your fiancé. Once you enter Australia with this visa, you may then marry your sponsor in Australia or travel outside Australia to marry.

This visa allows you to: 

  • enter Australia before you marry your prospective spouse
  • travel in and out of Australia as often as you want
  • work in Australia, although some employers might not hire people with temporary visas
  • study in Australia, but with no access to government funding for tertiary study
  • apply for a Partner visa, in Australia, after your marriage

You must:

  •  intend to marry and live as husband or wife with your prospective spouse
  • be sponsored by your prospective spouse
  • know your prospective spouse and have met in person as adults (i.e. both of you are above 18 years old).   
  • be the opposite sex to your prospective spouse (same-sex couples can apply for a Partner visa based on their de facto relationship)
  • meet age, health and character requirements

In addition to the completed and signed sponsorship (form 40SP) and evidence of your sponsor\'s Australian citizenship or permanent resident status, you must also provide evidence that you and your sponsor have met in person as adults, that both of you have genuine intention to marry each other within the nine months validity of the visa and that you and your sponsor genuinely intend to live together as spouses.

Proof of intent to marry
Your application must include proof that you plan to marry your prospective spouse within nine months of being granted the visa. If you plan to marry outside Australia, you can provide a letter from the person who will perform the wedding ceremony. If you plan to marry in Australia, you must complete a Notice of Intended Marriage form and give it to the person who will perform the wedding ceremony. This must be done at least one month, and less than 18 months, before you marry.

You must have met your prospective spouse in person, as adults. You must know them personally.
This applies even if:

  •  it is an arranged marriage
  • you and your prospective spouse met as children and the marriage was arranged before you turned 18 years of age
  • you met on the internet (i.e.exchanging photographs is not evidence of having met in person)

Your age:

  • You must be at least 18 years of age to apply for this visa
  • If one of the parties is either under the age of 18 at the time of marriage or at the time of application or not free to marry, please contact our office for further information before lodging the application

Your relationships. Please provide:  

  • if you or anyone included in the application has been widowed, divorced or permanently separated: a copy of the death certificate, divorce documents, or statutory declaration separation documents
  • evidence that you and your prospective spouse have met face-to-face as adults and are personally known to each other
  • evidence that you will marry your prospective spouse within nine months of being granted the visa (such as a letter from the person who will officiate at the wedding)
  • evidence that you and your prospective spouse genuinely intend to live in a married relationship
  • written statements showing the history of your relationship, such as:
    o how, when and where you first met
    o how your relationship developed
    o when you became engaged
    o joint activities
    o significant events in the relationship
    o your future plans as husband and wife 

Additionally, you should provide the following documentary evidence: 

  • evidence that you and your sponsor genuinely intend to live together as spouses after your marriage. This may include all or some of the documentary evidence required in respect of defacto and marriage relationships.  However, if you cannot provide such evidence (because you have known your sponsor for a short period), this does not mean that your application will be rejected. The decision-maker will take into consideration all aspects of the application before making a decision.

If your application is approved, you will be granted a prospective marriage visa which allows you to travel to, enter and remain in Australia for 9 months from the date of grant. After marrying your sponsor (and while your visa is still in effect), you should apply for further visas to allow you to remain in Australia. Please refer to your migration booklet for further information about the conditions of this visa and further processing requirements after arrival in Australia.

There is no need to provide any documentary evidence of your employment and educational background unless you are specifically requested to do so after lodging your application. However, you should answer these questions on the application form. Please note that we cannot accept and view CDs and videos. If you believe the information contained there is relevant, please provide printed copies.

The Migration Booklet, the application form and the website of the Department of Immigration and Border Protection request that you provide certified copies. Nevertheless, we, in Tel Aviv, do not require you to provide any certified copies. You should provide photocopies only. However, we reserve the right to invite you to present your original documents during the processing of your application.

Australian Statutory Declarations (i.e. form 888) must be witnessed by a Consular Officer at the Australian Embassy or a JP in Australia. The forms may be obtained from Only Australian citizens or Australian permanent residents should sign Australian Statutory Declarations. Israeli and other witnesses/supporters should make their declarations under local laws (i.e. under local Israeli or Palestinian Law) by providing an affidavit (i.e Tatzhir תצהיר) or ( إشهار قانوني ). This form is prepared and witnessed by a local practising lawyer. The affidavit may be provided in English. If it is in Hebrew or Arabic, it must be translated by a Notary.

If you are an Australian citizen or an Australian permanent resident and wish to sign your Statutory Declaration at our office, please contact our Passports/Consular Section directly on (03) 6935000. Please note that the Passports/Consular Section is different to the Visa, Immigration and Citizenship Section and cannot reply to any visa related inquiries. They will only witness your signature on the Statutory Declaration. Please note that our Visa and Immigration Office is unable to provide photocopying and certification services.

All identity documents (ie. birth, adoption, marriage, divorce, death, and army discharge) must have a certified English translation by a notary or an accredited NAATI translator in Australia. You may select your NAATI translator by the language services they provide, including Hebrew and Arabic. Some of them may be operating from offices outside Australia, including Israel (See: NAATI).  Other documents should not be translated unless you are specifically requested to do so after you lodge the application.  If your documents have been translated/certified by an authorised body or person in a country other than Australia, Israel or the Palestinian Authority, they will be accepted only if the translations/certifications have been verified by the Embassy or Consulate of that country or by the Australian Embassy in that particular country.  Please note that our Visa and Immigration Office is unable to provide translating services.  The Embassy does not have a list of recommended translators.

All migrants to Australia must undergo health checks with Embassy doctors. A formal referral for the health checks and additional instructions, including the list of doctors and procedures, will be provided after the initial assessment of the application. We strongly recommend that you do not undergo the health checks before you lodge your application and are invited to do so by our office. This is because: 

  • The validity of the health checks is normally 6-12 months. If, for any reason, the processing of your application takes longer than usual, the validity of your visa (i.e. the date by which you must enter Australia after the grant of the visa) will be restricted to the validity of the health checks. This might not suit your travel plans
  • If your application is refused there is no refund of the fees you paid for the health checks

The Embassy panel doctor will send the results directly to our office or load them into our system through our eHealth system. The panel doctor is not allowed to give you the results unless prior written approval is received from our office. Approval would be given only in exceptional circumstances involving compassionate and/or compelling circumstances.

Like the health requirement, the character requirement is only one of the criteria that must be met before a visa is granted. If you meet the character criteria but fail to meet one of the other criteria your application will be rejected.

If you are 16 years old and above, you must provide a police certificate of no criminal record from the police in Israel (or Palestinian Authority as applicable) and from any other country where you have lived for an aggregate period of 12 months or more, during the last 10 years since you turned 16. For an Israeli police certificate, please apply at your local police station nearest to you with your ID. If you are overseas you may apply through the Embassy or Consulate of your country overseas.
See: Information on how to obtain police certificates/clearances

The Israeli police will not give you the police certificate but will forward it directly to our office where it will be added to your application. Please do not apply for the Israeli police certificate before you lodge your application. The average processing time for obtaining an Israeli police certificate is 4-5 weeks only.

The turnaround time for obtaining a police clearance from other countries can vary significantly between countries and therefore, you should consider applying for the police clearance from other countries as soon as you decide that you wish to apply for migration. This may reduce the processing time of your application.

As soon as your application for a Prospective Marriage or Partner/Partner Provisional visa is received and the visa application charge paid, a receipt and an acknowledgment letter containing your file number and other information are issued within three work days and sent to you by email.

The initial assessment of your application will usually take three months to complete. Please contact us after three months if you do not hear from us earlier. After the initial assessment of your application, we will write to you regarding any outstanding issues. This may include inviting you to provide additional information and documents, attend an interview, or undergo the necessary health and character checks. We will also acknowledge the receipt of additional documents from you within two weeks. Therefore, it is not necessary for you to make progress inquiries or contact us to confirm whether we have received the additional information/documents from you.

If you cooperate with our office and promptly respond to requests from us, you are not required to contact us regarding the progress of your application. You can be assured that your application will receive prompt attention. Please note that due to the provisions of the Australian Privacy Act and difficulties in identifying callers, we will not normally be able to enter into detailed discussions about your application over the phone, unless they relate to an emergency or exceptional circumstance.


Processing time standards are publised at Processing Times.

 Processing times apply from the date your complete application is lodged.

Please note that applications are assessed on a case-by-case basis, and that actual processing times may vary due to individual circumstances including:

  • whether the applicant has lodged a complete application including all necessary supporting documents
  • how promptly the applicant responds to any requests for additional information
  • how long it takes to perform required checks
  • how long it takes to receive additional information from external parties, particularly in relation to health, character, national security, and Assurance of Support requirements
  • the number of places available in the migration programme (for permanent migration visas)
  • surges in demand and peak periods

To ensure your application falls within the published processing times, we strongly encourage you to submit complete applications. The information provided on tihs page will assist in making sure you have included all required documents during the application process

Our office will endeavour to finalise the application as quickly as possible. All non-citizens applying for visas to enter Australia are considered on an individual basis and against legal requirements set out in Australia’s migration legislation. Our Department also has a responsibility to ensure that numbers of the visas granted are in accordance with the planning levels agreed to by Government. Therefore, some cases may not be finalised as quickly as clients or the Department would want.

When a decision is made on your application, you will receive a letter from our office by email.   

If your application is rejected, the letter will indicate the reasons for the decision and whether you can seek a review of the decision.

If you are granted a visa, the letter will provide information about the validity and conditions of your visa. Our visas are label free. This means that you are not required to obtain a visa label in your passport. The airline company can electronically verify that you have a visa at the time of check-in at the airport.

Please remember that you should not finalise any of your affairs in your country or make final travel arrangements before you receive written advice that your application has been approved and a visa granted. The Embassy and the department will not be liable for any financial loss incurred by clients whose visa application was finalised later than expected or where an application is unsuccessful.

Spouse/defacto spouse visas must normally be used for initial entry into Australia within 12 months from the date of your health examination or the date your police clearance was issued, whichever is the earlier. However, and on the basis of a medical opinion from our Medical Unit in Australia, the validity of the visa may be restricted to a shorter period.

Prospective marriage visas must normally be used for initial entry into Australia within 9 months from the date of visa grant or the date of your health examination or the date your police clearance was issued, whichever is the earliest. However, and on the basis of a medical opinion from our Medical Unit in Australia, the validity of the visa may be restricted to a shorter period.

We hope that you find this document useful and helpful in understanding the application process. Further information is also available on


If you require further information not available on our website or the webiste of the Department of Immigration and Broder Protection please contact us by email at